Every two years, 22q11 Europe organizes a conference in coordination with a local 22q11 association.
The objective of this conference is to keep patients and relatives informed with recent researches, to reinforce ties between research teams and patients associations and to improve the visibility of the 22q11 syndrome.
This conference takes place every other year, during the week-end preceding the 22d November (22/11).
The main language of the conference will be English but other languages should be proposed as well, in coordination with other local associations.
Whereas 22q11 Europe looks at the concept and planning of the conference, set up a scientific committee and finds the speakers, the organising local association is expected to handle all practical aspects.
This a call to local associations to submit a proposal for the organization of the 2023 conference.
It is usually a interesting opportunity for local association to raise awareness across their scientific community and offer the opportunity to their members to meet with renowned international speakers.
The main elements to consider are mentioned hereunder.
Role of the local association
The role of the local association is the following:
- Identification (and booking) of suitable hotels, restaurants, conference and reception venues
- Negotiation with the hotel/conference rooms. Some flexibility is needed concerning deadlines for rooming lists and last minute changes.
- Management of participants’ registrations and confirmations and direct communication with them
- Hotel and restaurant reservations: the local association is not expected to manage the hotel reservations on behalf of the participants but to propose hotel close to the conference at reasonable/negotiated prices.
- Organisation of an optional dinner on the Saturday night.
- Preparation of information material for participants
- Production of name badges and name plates, seating arrangements, etc.
- Management of all technical requirements for conferences (audio-visual equipment, interpretation services, registration desk, signposting in hotel, etc.)
It is not expected to get activities for kids. However, the local association is free to organize it.
22q11 Europe wants to put some focus on the young adults problematics. Hence, proposing a mixed (conference and social ) program is welcome although the language barrier is an issue to deal with.
It is expected that all financial aspects are covered by the organizing local association. It means that this association will bear the costs and get the income of the conference. The organizing association will bear the costs of the translation infrastructure whereas other local associations bear the costs of the interprets. The registration cost of the conference is intended to be around 50-60 eur per person (might slightly vary according to the country) , not including the Saturday night meal.
The proposed city is to be located close to an airport with many European connections, if possible with low-cost companies. The hotel infrastructure should be large enough in order to maintain reasonable prices.
The conference location should be easily accessible by public transport from the airport and the hotels.
The file should at least include the city, some indications about hotel and conference venues facilities, a budget proposal including the available financial resources (for this event) of the association or the way to fund it.
It should also include an estimation of the budget for a family of two to attend (not incl. transport cost): registration fees, the optional Saturday night meal, the cost of an hotel close to the conference.
Any other suggestions (a.o. for young adults activities) regarding the organization is welcome!
The file is to be submitted by the 03/09/2021 to Paul Havelange.
We intend to announce the 2023 location at the Berlin conference.